While stickers are a great way for young ones to decorate their accessories, it may not seem so great stuck on wood accessories for grown-ups. Especially many of the furniture or decorative items made of wood come with stickers bearing their marks of authenticity.
So in order to use them on a daily basis, you must get rid of the stickers. But how to remove stickers from wood accessories? Here we are, to answer exactly that!
Also, like it Wood Router
How To Remove Stickers From Wood In Different Ways
- Blow Dryer or Heat Gun
- A thin flat smooth scraper
- Tweezers (Optional)
- Get a heat gun or a blow dryer to make the glue behind your sticker a little loose. Make sure the device is at its lowest setting in order to prevent any damage on the wooden surface. Go back and forth over the sticker a few times to make sure the heat has covered all areas. Target its corners for maximum effectiveness.
At the same time, remember to maintain a safe distance between the heating tool and the sticker. If it is a blow dryer you are using, this distance should be 2 inches and for a heating gun, the ideal distance is 3 inches. The entire period of heating the sticker should not be longer than 15 seconds to avoid stains on the wood.
- Take something flat, smooth and slim like a credit card, putty knife or non-serrated knife. This will help you to lift up one end of the sticker.
Make sure that the scraper’s material is not too sharp otherwise it may harm the wood. In case the wood is something valuable like an antique, use fingernails to scrape the sticker.
- Now that some edges of the sticker have loosened up, take the tweezers to pull it up slowly. Apply heat from a blow dryer simultaneously to soften up the glue even more. This will get you rid of the sticker.
2. White Vinegar
- White vinegar
- Paper towel or piece of cloth
- Tweezers (optional)
- Take a bottle of white vinegar or pour some into a bowl. Now soak a paper towel or a small piece of clothing in it.
- Place the soaked cloth or towel directly on the sticker so that it covers the whole area. Leave it this way for about five minutes. The white vinegar should get inside the sticker within this time and make it easier for you to lift up.
- Use the tweezers or your fingernails to gently lift up an edge of the sticker and slowly go all the way to its end. Peel off the entire sticker this way from the wooden accessory.
- This method will only work for stickers that are placed on a horizontal surface facing upwards. That is because you will need to place something on top of it for a while.
3. Damp Cloth
- Small towel or a piece of cloth
- This is a very simple and straightforward method meant to be used on product labels. Stickers like this differ from other typical varieties. Applying water directly on the product labels would only make the job more difficult for you. Doing so causes the sensitive paper to stick more strongly to the surface.
- Take the piece of cloth or towel and make it slightly damp with water. Now place it on the product label in a way that the damp area does not touch the wood. Press on the main area and leave it for a while so that the label can slowly dissolve.
4. Nail Polish Remover
- A nail polish remover
- Cotton ball
- Clean cloth
- A nail polish remover can get you rid of many unnecessary elements in addition to old polish! So take a bottle of this remover and take some of it on a cotton ball. The amount should be just enough to dampen the ball.
- Carefully dab the ball on the sticker so that its surrounding wood area is safe from the dampness. Leave it this way for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wipe off the excess remover left on your hand with a clean and dry cloth. Then take off the sticker and erase the glue residue left behind with a scraper.
5. Glue Remover
- A commercial glue remover
- Tissue paper
- If none of the homemade solutions work or you just want something fast, go for a commercial glue remover. Some of the most reliable brands in this category are Goof Off, Goo Gone and 3M. A simple way to find the right remover is to look for citrus oil in its ingredients.
- Take a tissue paper and fold it two to four times. Then pour a drop or two of the remover on it. Apply the damp area exactly over the sticker and gently rub a few times. Add more of the remover if needed. All you need to ensure that the sticker is wet enough to scrape. It should not take longer than two minutes.
- When it is easy for you to lift a corner or edge of the sticker, add one more drop of the remover underneath the sticker.
- Now slowly peel off the entire sticker and scrape off the residue.
How To Remove Sticker Residue?
Now that you have removed the sticker successfully, how to erase the residue of sticky paper or glue? Here are some handy ideas:
- Take a few drops of lemon oil and rub the affected area with it.
- Take a roll of the Scotch Magic tape and place its pieces on the residual. Take it off soon after so that the residual gets stuck on its sticky side and comes off with the tape. Remember that magic tape is not the same as duct tape.
- Damp the cloth with a solvent of your liking and scrub off the residue in circular motions. This can take up to ten minutes.
You will get more ideas from the video below-
While stickers are usually attractive and vibrant, you might feel the need for a clean surface every now and then. As shiny as they look, stickers get dirty pretty quickly.
Now that you know how to remove stickers from wood accessories in so many ways, you can choose the most suitable one to remove stickers and its residual from your favorite wooden furniture pieces. So go ahead and make the items shine all over!
Last update on 2023-02-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. WaterFilterly is user-supported. We might receive a commission on any purchase you make through clicking links on this page.